Postpartum is the duration after delivery when a mother’s body undergoes several changes. At times a female takes time to adjust. Two of the common issues that a lady can face after postpartum include bleeding and swelling.
Though it is common, you must always consult your gynecologist for the issues. A woman needs care more than expected which helps her heal faster than usual. Though emotionally it may take time, but for physical problems like bleeding and swelling, immediate curative actions must be taken.
Before moving onto how you can fight the troubles, let us understand the two problems one by one.
Why bleeding and swelling during postpartum?
After the delivery, the uterus contracts after pushing out the placenta, which is full of fluid, and the baby. When this squeezing process occurs, it puts pressure on the blood veins. In this case, heavy bright red vaginal bleeding is normal for the first few days.
During the first postpartum week, swelling can also be part of the body change, but these conditions improve with time with proper medication. Swelling happens because of the excess fluid that remains after the pregnancy also.
When to call the doctor?
You can call a doctor in the following cases:
- If the heavy bleeding continues after 5 days or a week.
- If you see big blood clots.
- One of your leg is more swollen
- If you feel nausea, dizziness, high BP, or heart rate.
- If there is severe pain in the lower tummy.
- If you have chest pain or breathing difficulty.
What to take care of?
Postpartum is a stage when a mother needs high care, both physically and emotionally.
At this stage, a female’s body undergoes a healing process, so there are a few things for which she should be extra cautious. Like bleeding, another concern that can be disturbing during postpartum is swelling. Unfortunately, other than proper diet and rest, there are few home remedies that one can do to reduce the swelling.
- Keep yourself hydrated: Water helps you to flush out the extra fluids and other toxins and helps in the healing process.
- Light exercise: Include exercise in your routine, it keeps your body active. But you must avoid standing for a long time. A few steps can prove beneficial.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Try to avoid unsupportive footwears, which can block the circulation of the blood. Go for some ankle stretching exercises.
- Avoid oily, spicy, and packaged food: Packaged foods are high in sodium, fat, and sugar, which can raise blood pressure and sugar levels. Instead of healing, it can damage your organs.
It’s a good idea to have an open discussion with your physician if you find any severe symptoms given above, to avoid any complications. Doctor Smiti is a reliable gynecologist who has been a great support in facing postpartum difficulties. You can connect with her at drsmitiwomensclinic.in