Eating saffron in pregnancy
A very common question in pregnancy is whether it is safe to eat saffron or not? Note that consuming saffron in pregnancy is safe because it has high medicinal properties. Saffron is called Golden spice because it enhances the taste of the food. Eating saffron has several benefits and pregnant women are suggested to eat it.
These are the benefits of eating saffron during pregnancy:
- Relieves stress.
- Helps you with aches and pains.
- Take care of mood swings.
- Removes your pregnancy discomfort.
- It is an antidepressant and boosts the blood flow to your brain. Eating saffron produces a hormone called serotonin that will elevate your mood.
- Saffron is rich in potassium and crocetin that will help to control blood pressure.
- Tea made of saffron will help you fight nausea and dizziness.
But you must keep these things in mind before eating saffron in pregnancy.
- You should start consuming saffron only when you start with the fifth month. In the fifth month, your pregnancy is quite stable and the risk of any danger to the baby is less.
- Avoid using artificially colored saffron because that may harm the baby or the mother.
- Use only 2-3 strands, because excessive use of saffron may have adverse effects on your health.
You must consult your gynecologist and know when you should consume saffron. Excessive consumption might increase the frequency of uterine contractions.
Ways to use Saffron during pregnancy?
- Make sure you soak 2-3 strands of Saffron before using it.
- Use crumbled Saffron as it is easy to digest and consume.
- Drink it with milk.
- Saffron with water and tea.
What are the side effects of excessive use of Saffron?
The excessive use of saffron may cause:
- Miscarriage as saffron at a time increases the body temperature.
- Dry mouth, anxiety, and nausea, headaches.
- Blood in the urine.