Acne during pregnancy is a result of overactive sebum or oil glands. This happens due to major hormonal changes in the body.
This is nothing to worry about. It is temporary. The acne subsides once your hormones become balanced after pregnancy.
Self-care is the key to treating acne during the nine months. Do not be disheartened in case your skin breaks out. You can treat it with awareness and the right tips.
So, if you are wondering how to treat acne in pregnancy, here are certain tips for you:
- Keep your face clean. Wash it twice a day, especially in the morning and before hitting the bed at night.
- Wash your face after coming from outdoors to remove accumulated dust and pollution debris from the skin.
- Avoid using harsh face washes. They may irritate skin further. Avoid using soaps. They contain harsh sulfates, which is a detergent group. Use moisturizing face washes.
- Avoid scrubbing your skin hard and frequently. Use a scrub only once a week or fortnight. Avoid using it over the acne-affected area.
- Keep your hair clean. Hair strands often touch the skin of face. If your hairs are dirty, they can transfer dirt to skin.
- Avoid picking or squeezing on pimples to prevent scarring and infection.
- Use non-comedogenic, water-based skin products that do not clog pores. Avoid heavy, greasy makeup.
- Avoid touching your skin with hands often.
What about medication?
You need to discuss with your lady gynecologist before using oral and topical medication during pregnancy. Even topical formulas enter the bloodstream through skin and can affect the baby inside.
Please do not self-medicate during pregnancy.
How to treat acne in pregnancy through home remedies?
Nature has provided us with certain ingredients that can help kill bacteria that causes acne. Use the following 6 ingredients to your benefit.
- Turmeric: It possesses anti-bacterial properties. Take powdered turmeric and make a paste with water. Apply on the affected area for 60 minutes. Wash off. Use it daily.
- Aloe Vera: Cut a slice of the plant and collect its fresh gel. Apply it directly on skin. Leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse. Use daily.
- Coconut oil: Apply on the affected area. Do not rinse. Let it stay until you wash your face next. Please do not use on oily skin.
- Honey: It possesses antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties. Apply honey directly on the affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Use daily.
- Lemon: It also has anti-microbial power. Plus, it helps to balance skin’s pH. Squeeze juice of fresh lemon and apply on the affected area. You may feel a little burning sensation. Leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse. Use daily.
- Neem leaves: These are antiseptic in nature. Crush fresh neem leaves and apply the juice on the affected area. Leave it for 60 minutes. Rinse. Use daily.
The above tips are effective in controlling acne during pregnancy and also after. Make sure your diet consists more of fresh fruits and veggies and less of junk food.